How to create a TARDIS Door

Since moving into the house a couple of years ago, we have been decorating every room. One of the last parts to the dining room was the door into the lounge.



Much to the utter disgust of our teenage daughter, we decided to jazz it up a bit with a Dr Who/T.A.R.D.I.S theme.

It didn't really take that much thinking about, just selecting a likely looking blue colour 



and sourcing some images on the Googleweb. Five minutes on Photoshop Elements 5.0 and they were scaled to the exact dimensions (spot the pun) we needed.


The "Police Box" graphic that we chose was scaled up to around 60cm and then cropped in sections so that each one overlapped one of the letters. This gave a good "key" indicator to line them back up again afterwards.

I initially stuck the decals on with Pritstick thinking that they would be easy to peel off if I needed to reposition. Turns out I was wrong (AGAIN!). Fortunately we didn't like the white border on the "Police Box" emblem so when I tore a hole in it trying to remove it, it didn't really matter!

The end result after printing a St John Ambulance "sticker" and a Yale lock it was looking pretty slick. 


With these key elements in place, I think it is looking pretty good. Just the handle to go on (which is not a TARDIS type one, but the original fitting).

What I DID learn from this fairly straigtforward little "weekend project" was that my previous scepticism about ModPodge was completely unfounded. Having found some little "sample" tubs for under £2 at Hobbycraft I thought I'd give it a try an I must say, I'm a bit of a convert. It worked a treat for sealing the paper "stickers" down without being at all obvious that they were coated. It's my new best friend!

Mrs Venom is happy, therefore, I am happy.








Comments

Popular Posts