How to make a Geth Pulse Rifle out of EVA Foam

Peeoooowwww
Peeeoooowww
Peeeeooooooowwww!

"You're dead, I shot you!"
"No I'm not, you missed!"
"I didn't, you moved from behind the tree and I shot you right in the head..."
"Well,I had a helmet on that deflects your bullets so there."
"That's cheating, you just made that up, you're not playing the game properly, you always have to win, it's not fair!"
"Well, I didn't want to play "Mass Effect" anyway. You always chose Shepherd and I always have to be a Cerberus Trooper. Let's swap sides."
"No. I don't want to."
"I hate you."

Dinglydonglydinglydong...binglybinglybinglyding.......

"ICECREAM VAN!"

Ah, the joys of childhood.
Running around shooting each other with sticks or just using your fingers and making the noises.

If only we had a bit more merchandising in our lives back then!

No more finger shooting for this Mass Effect player! I've decided to build my first weapon project and have chosen the Geth Pulse Rifle to try to fabricate from scratch.

No foam pepakura templates, no files downloaded off the internet. Just old fashioned picture references and trial and error modelling.

I MUST BE MAD!

My starting points are a few images I've taken off the internet, primarily a screendump of the rifle in the inventory on Mass Effect 3.



I've just finished playing through the game again as I slapped my old XBOX 360 game into the XBOX ONE and joy of joys, it is now backward compatible. I set the difficulty to EASY and once I'd acquired this little beauty, I played the whole of the rest of the game with this. I LOVE IT!

I want one.

With no idea of the correct dimensions, I chose the weapon of choice for the UK Armed Forces, the L85A2 as my starting point. If I remember correctly it comes out at 785cm long according to Wikipedia.
I used my trusty ruler to measure parts of the image above and then worked out the dimesnions to scale up to my 785cm target.




BUT WAIT!

I have an old copy of Photoshop Elements 5.0 (I know, get me with my modern software!). Surely it's a simple process of taking the image and scaling it up to the dimensions I want and printing it off in sections before sticking them together to form a composite image.

YAY!

EASY!

Except I didn't have enough ink in my printer and to cap it all off, no paper left.

CURSES!

Have I ever let a lack of technology put me off? Was I not going to go "old skool" with this build anyway? Why don't I just hand draw one? Good job I'm a fricking AWESOME drawer, or at least I WAS twenty years ago at Art College. I've let my skills slip a little since then. But then, how difficult can it be?!



Not bad as a template goes. Obviously, there's no point adding too many details at this stage, so long as the dimensions are good. This should work as a starting point. I'll add/amend as the build goes on. I'm not entirely convinced that the front end it quite right but we'll see how it looks when 3Dified.

....

Found some old graph paper in the cupboard. Set the printer to Greyscale. Scaled up in Photoshop. Printed in sections. Stuck together. Compared with the hand drawn image....



As I suspected. The main body is pretty much spot on but the front muzzle end is a bit out of shape. 

Next stage: Consider how to build it in separate "elements" and also, what exactly to make it out of.

EVA foam?
Maybe some sheets of insulation foam for easy shaping...

Decisions, decisions.....

Let me know what you think by commenting below. I'd really value your ideas and suggestions on how to take this one forward.















Comments

Popular Posts